Celebrate the Triduum with Pope Francis this year – live-streamed to your home!
Apr 5, 2020 | by Church of the Incarnation
The Prefecture of the Pontifical Household announced “that, because of the current global public health emergency, all the Liturgical Celebrations of Holy Week will take place without the physical presence of the faithful.” The statement also confirmed that all the celebrations will be broadcast live on radio and television and live-streamed by Vatican News.
Below is the schedule for the Triduum:
Holy Thursday- April 9
- 3:30 am. EDT: Pope Francis will preside over the Chrism Mass at Saint Peter’s Basilica. He will bless the holy oils, or “chrisms” used to administer the Sacraments throughout the year.
- 11:00 a.m. EDT: Pope Francis is scheduled to celebrate The Mass of the Lord's Supper at Velletri Correctional Facility and wash the feet of 12 prisoners who reside there.
Good Friday - April 10
- 11:00 a.m. EDT: In Saint Peter's Basilica, Pope Francis will preside over the Liturgy of the Word, the Adoration of the Cross, and the Communion Rite at The Passion of the Lord, commemorating the Lord’s crucifixion and death on Mount Calvary.
- 8:00 p.m. EDT: Pope Francis will participate in the “Via Crucis,” or “Way of the Cross”, at the Colosseum, at the end of which he will give a reflection and impart his Apostolic Blessing.
Holy Saturday – April 11
- 2.30 p.m. EDT: Pope Francis will bless the new fire and lead the procession with the Easter candle and the singing of the “Exsultet” (or “Easter Proclamation”), before presiding over the Liturgy of the Word, the Baptismal Liturgy and the Celebration of the Eucharist at the Easter Vigil.
Easter Sunday – April 12
- 4:00 a.m. EDT: Pope Francis will celebrate Easter Mass in Saint Peter’s Square.
- 6:00 a.m. EDT: Pope Francis will offer the Urbi et Orbi: Message and Blessing
Click here for more Celebrating Holy Week at Home for Adults